The Coalition for Reforms, Integration, and Consolidated Institutions (KRIIK Albania) held on Thursday, 11 March 2021, at 11:00 AM a Press Conference in the frame of the Election Observation Monitoring Action for the 25 April 2021 Election for the Assembly of Albania.
The aim of the Press Conference was to share with the public and journalists concerns on some key aspects of the electoral process until that moment, as well as call upon political and institutional stakeholders to undertake the necessary steps to address these concerns in due time.
The main topics that were discussed at the Press Conference were:
- The impact of Covid-19 on the organization of the electoral process, especially in relation to freedom of association and active suffrage
- Integrity of the candidates proposed by election contestants.
- Opportunities for Albanian citizens living abroad to be able to exercise the right to vote.
- Misuse of state resources for campaigning purposes
The Press Conference was held in a hybrid format, partly with physical presence of journalists (Hotel Rogner, Tirana, Antigonea 1 room) and partly online (through Zoom).
To watch the recording of the Press Conference, CLICK HERE.
To read the Statement, CLICK HERE.
On KRIIK and the monitoring action
The Coalition for Reforms, Integration, and Consolidated Institutions (KRIIK Albania) has followed and continues to follow closely all institutional all institutional and political developments that affect directly or indirectly electoral matters.
Currently, KRIIK is observing the electoral process through a body of long-term observers and will be present on election day and during the vote counting with short-term observers. The Monitoring Action of KRIIK is being implemented in cooperation with 33 domestic organizations throughout the country, active in the fields of democracy and human rights.
KRIIK assesses the electoral process based on internationally recognized standards for democratic elections and the Albanian legal framework.
The press conference is organized in the frame of the Election Observation Action of KRIIK for the 2021 Parliamentary Elections. The Election Observation Action is financially supported by:
- the Government of the United Kingdom;
- the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Germany; and
- the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The opinions and views expressed in the Press Conference are the sole responsibility of KRIIK and do not necessarily represent the official position or opinion of the donors.