The Election Observation Action for the Albanian Parliament on April 25, 2021
KRIIK has continuously followed, since the conclusion of the observation action of the Parliamentary Elections 2017, almost all institutional, legal and political processes that are directly or indirectly related to the integrity of elections in Albania, including the electoral reform process; the political crisis launched in January 2019; the preparatory progress of the Local Government Elections of 2019, their development as well as all the institutional processes and stalemates that accompanied and followed them; the process of electoral reform from the beginning and then as an agreement reached by the Political Council; unilateral legal and constitutional changes and other important institutional and political processes to date.
KRIIK’s opinions and positions on these developments have been continuously made public through Public Statements or Attitudes, Open Letters, as well as through opinions and suggestions sent to lawmakers regarding the electoral reform, the Central Election Commission regarding the bylaws regulating the electoral process , or meetings with political and institutional actors, including the Special Parliamentary Commission on Electoral Reform, the Central Election Commission, political actors, international actors, etc. All these and other documents can be found on this page.
The process of the Elections for the Assembly of Albania of April 25, 2021, KRIIK has started to monitor in its entirety since the announcement of the date of the elections by the President of the Republic, on September 6, 2020. The Observation Action was publicly announced during the National Conference ” The Costs of Democracy II – Money in Politics and Electoral Integrity.
On March 11, 2021, KRIIK organized a Press Conference in which some concerns of KRIIK were made public regarding four important issues of the electoral process:
- the impact that Covid-19 will have on the organization of the electoral process, especially regarding the right of assembly and the right to vote;
- the integrity of the candidates proposed by the electoral subjects;
- opportunities for Albanians living abroad to exercise their right to vote, and
- the use of state resources during the election campaign.
On March 29, the First Interim Observation Report was published.
KRIIK has engaged 22 long-term observers across the country, who are observing key elements of the process and will continue to follow it until its completion. In addition, KRIIK will engage about 700 short-term observers to monitor the activity of the zonal election administration commissions in all CEAZs of the country before and during election day, as well as during the counting of votes; the process of opening, voting and closing polling stations in 360 randomly selected polling stations across the country, as well as the situation around polling stations and the voting process in about 800 polling stations, with mobile observers on election day . Also, the ballot counting process will be observed in all ballot counting stations, from its beginning to its end. Observation of 360 randomly selected polling stations guarantees generalization of findings with an error margin of ± 5%, with a 95% confidence interval.
KRIIK evaluates the electoral process using as criteria the internationally recognized standards for democratic elections, as well as the Albanian legal framework.
The Election Observation Action for the Albanian Parliament of April 25, 2021 is being carried out in cooperation with 33 partner organizations, which operate throughout the country:
- Ionian Agency for Environment, Media and Information – Saranda;
- The Past for the Future – Korça;
- New Era – Fier;
- Selenica Civil Forum – Selenica;
- Women Forum of Elbasan – Elbasan;
- Oilwomen in Development Focus – Kuçova;
- Woman Development – Korça;
- Integration Local Action Group – Dibra;
- Youth Movement for Democracy – Puka;
- Tourism Development Movement – Ksamil;
- Environmental Protection and Tourism Development Association –Has;
- Protection of Persons with Disabilities (MEDPAK) – Librazhd;
- Flower Initiative – Saranda;
- National Platform for Women – Fier;
- Roma Door for Integration – Kruja;
- Embroidery Association – Korça;
- I, Woman – Pogradec;
- Social Services and Women Counseling Center– Kukës;
- Counseling Center for Persons with Disabilities – Shkodra;
- Social Center for Persons in Need – Fushë Arrëz;
- Center for the Development of Civil Society – Durrës;
- Hand to Hand Against Nation Apathy – Lezha;
- Vlora Youth Center – Vlora;
- Association for the Protection of the Rights of Village and Town Women – Berat;
- Alpin Association – Tropoja;
- New Environmental Expert Society – Bulqiza;
- Association for Women and Children – Tirana;
- Ray of Hope Association – Vau Deja;
- Independent Typographer Union – Tirana;
- The Youth of Ura Vajgurore – Ura Vajgurore;
- Together for Roma Integration – Fier;
- Youth for Social Changes – Vora;
- Consulting and Development Partners – Shkodra.